Lambeth has one of the largest LGBTQ+ populations in the UK, with almost one in ten residents identifying as LGBTQ+. However, one in five LGBTQ+ people in the borough don’t feel safe going about their daily lives, and a further one in five have experienced an anti-LGBTQ+ hate crime in the past twelve months. 48% of LBTQ+ people also want access to a greater range of alcohol-free social spaces and 44% want more sports spaces for LGBTQ+ people.
In response to the clear need for safer and more diverse social spaces, LGBT HERO and Lambeth Council have created the Lambeth Allies programme.
Lambeth Allies offers businesses the chance to receive LGBTQ+ awareness and safety training and visual materials to display in offices, shop fronts, or receptions. Lambeth Allies is initially being piloted in Vauxhall and Clapham, two of the most prominent LGBTQ+ areas in the borough. The programme is free for any organisation based in these areas, with options to engage in online or in-person workshops.
The Lambeth Allies programme offers a host of benefits:
· Enhanced knowledge of LGBTQ+ identities, equalities, and the law
· Clearer understanding of safety concerns for LGBTQ+ people
· Tools for supporting LGBTQ+ staff and users
· Free display materials to show your space is safe and accessible for LGBTQ+ people
· Networking opportunities with likeminded organisations
You can find more information about the programme on the website. Also please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.